Saturday 9 October 2010

Value Sketches for Portrait

This afternoon after preparing the backgrounds for a few paintings amd feeling so frustrated that I couldn't finish anything, I decided to do a value sketch in preparation for a small portrait I am hoping to do tomorrow. By small I mean 5" x 5"! I haven't done portrait work for ages and I needed to get to grips with the drama of the photograph I am working from as well as the tiny format. This sketch was done rather quickly at night and as a result, I found it hard to capture the nuances of the half tones on the model's face. However, I now know more for when I come to paint the real thing. This was fun but I am not drawing at night again until I get really good lighting. I also tried giving it a blue tint as the background of this portrait will be a bright saturated turquoise. Can anything go wrong?

Preliminary Portrait Sketch
Pencil on Cartridge Paper - 5" x 5"

Preliminary Portrait Sketch - Blue Tint
Pencil on Cartridge Paper - 5" x 5
"

No comments: